Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Any Problems with Switching between English and Western Saddles?


Ed wrote: "I have learned so much from your blog and it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of owning and riding my horse, and made me a much more responsible owner. " "Now, I have a specific question for you. When I purchased my horse he had been trail-ridden almost exclusively with western tack, which I got with the purchase. However, eventually I bought a used English saddle, mainly as a decoration; I never really planned to use it. What I did not expect is that when put it on him for the first time, it really seemed to suit me! It felt so right that I have never had the western tack on him since--four years now. But, there are times when I would like to use the western saddle, especially for trail rides or when using saddle bags, etc." "My question is, will it confuse my horse, or compromise his ability to function in English tack if I use the western saddle from time to time, for trail rides or just casual hacks? Should I use the same bridle and bit (D-snaffle) that I always use for foxhunting, or is there some functional difference with the more basic western bridle? Most of our riding is foxhunting, which to the horror of my purist friends, I usually do on a loose rein. He just seems to know what I want him to do most of the time, and any instructions are generally just simple touches of the rein and bit. I don't want to ruin that! Thanks in advance for your wisdom and perspective."

Hey Ed, good to hear from you again and thanks for your comments, although wisdom is something I do not associate with myself.....just ask my wife. Good for you to have such a good relationship with that draft cross of yours. You may ought to look into Cowboy and Western Dressage as well as regular dressage with that horse. My take on western dressage is that it is basically dressage with a western saddle. I believe Cowboy dressage on the other hand stresses riding on a loose rein or anyway not always being in contact with the horse’s mouth. I have to say up front that I know nothing about fox hunting and only ridden a english saddle twice (that I'll admit to) and at least one of those times may have been an alcohol induced incident, so really someone who rides both english and western should be answering this question, but since you asked I'll give it my best shot of making sense.    

As long as your Western saddle fits well, it should present no problem to you or your horse going back and forth from fox hunting or eventing to western pleasure or trail riding. Even though I use the same saddles on the same horses for years, I always check to make sure they are not hurting my horses. Horse's back confirmation can change, just like we do. Fat deposits build up, muscle tone diminishes, and arthritis may become an issue in an older horse.

Many people are now switching saddles, from English to western, back and forth.  In fact, I'm sure some start off with English saddles for dressage, then switch to a western saddle for western dressage test on the same morning. I know several ladies who are primary dressage riders, but who throw a western saddle on their horses and compete in ranch sorting and obstacle competitions,...and do well too.  All this cross training has to be good for the horse.

Anyway, the bit and bridle is the same as well. There is no reason you cannot do everything in a D ring snaffle, nor is there any reason you can't change from a snaffle, to a curb bit, to a correction bit,....although I have yet to figure out what problem a correction bit is correcting.   For the past few years I have had no reason for using anything but a bosal or a snaffle bit, although I did start to use a snaffle with a roller in the center connecting the bars as I thought it would serve a particular horse better. And I prefer a fixed O ring or egg butt snaffle, but that's just my preference and maybe so because it's simple.  Note:  I am often called a simpleton, and for some reason I am not associating that with a compliment.    

Changing bits or riding sometimes in a bosal can give a horse a break from time to time. On my hackamore horse, I have three different bosals I use, changing the pressure up to reduce the chances of soreness and such.

Many top hand clinicians have said words to the effect that dressage is no different than any other riding, and riding is riding and horsemanship is horsemanship.  I think the same principles of horsemanship apply, just the competitive rules may make it seem these disciplines are worlds apart.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment