Monday, February 15, 2010

Horse Health Care – Bran Mash



I have placed this post under a Horse Health Care title as opposed to a Horse Nutrition issue since the reason I give my horses Bran Mashes is for their Digestive Health. Plus it’s just good fun to watch them get that soupy bran all over their faces in their frantic efforts to eat every last bit of the bran mash.

Bran is a fiber, not having much nutritional value, but again I use it to help each Horse’s digestive system and also use the Bran Mash as a vehicle to get some psyllium into their system.

My recipe is to pour 8 cups of dry bran per horse into a large bucket. Then I add 1 or 2 ounces of Molasses per horse, 2 or 3 ounces of corn oil per horse and about 2 ounces of unflavored soluble fiber powder or psyllium per horse. I then add water and stir into a not quite soupy mess and immediately to my horses.



I give my horses this wet bran mash once a week, although sometimes I have been known to skip a week – but not very often. To tell you the truth, I can’t say if this does much good, but I feel better about do something to help their guts. Horsemen have believed in this for years and I have had very little problems with my horses with their gut, so I’ll just keep on doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment