Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Nothing like a fine new saddle


Two months ago the UPS truck showed up at the main gate to deliver a Sparky Wallace made saddle. Sparky owns, operates and makes tack and saddles in his shop, Cow Camp Supply, in Fairfield, Montana. He makes really excellent gear at very reasonable prices. When I ordered it last year Sparky said to give him some artistic latitude in carving. He sure did not disappoint me. It's a Wade saddle, 15 inches from horn to cantle with a deep seat and pencil roll cantle. Sparky added 4 inch Monel metal covered wood stirrups with the Hamley twist. The craftsmanship, leather and hardware are absolutely first class. 

 It is the nicest saddle I've seen in person, let alone owned. I have been riding it for two months now and right from the start it was as, or more, comfortable than any of my old broke in saddles. It's as light of weight of saddle as a person could hope for given it's well made construction. I was able to ride a few times with this saddle on Junior, the great horse I just lost. As much as I like this saddle, I would trade it to have my horse back and healthy, but you can't change was is.

Sparky has made Armitas for me, as well as spurs and straps, slobber straps (see below photo of one of the pairs of slobber straps he made for me), and a couple breast collars (Martingales). All of his gear is made to last a life time for two. Go to Sparky's website to see some really nice gear. Cow Camp Supply.

There is a Trinity Sealy song called 'Low Maintenance Girl' where she sings about not needing much other than horses and gear, where she mentions Cow Camp slobber straps. Of all the slobber straps I have used in the past 30 years, I like Sparky's the best as they are fully lined, and he makes them scalloped with a fairly narrower width where they connect to the snaffle bit. They have the weight to drop straight away and give the horse the intended release.

I am putting Trinity' song 'Low Maintenance Girl' below, but it's coming with the warning to you gent's not to let your wives' listen to it or you'll be getting your checkbook out.



No comments:

Post a Comment