Saturday, March 22, 2014

Why Use Tie Downs on Horses?


Ellison wrote to ask about Tie Downs. "Thanks for your information and videos. I remember some topic and often go back to look. I bought an older horse, 15 years old, who was used for team roping. The owner told me that I should use a tie down on him. He showed me how he connects this underneath the bit and head harness. I bought this horse because he seemed really gentle and calm for use as a pleasure horse and want to know if using this tie down is necessary for control?"

Basically the tie down is a nose band connected with a strap to the front D ring on the cinch - which the correct way to rig a tie down.  Although over the years I have seen people rig this differently, from the nose band, through the main  ring on a breast collar to the front D ring on the cinch, and actually a few times rigged straight from the nose band to the main ring on the breast collar.  Team ropers use it on their horses to give the horse something to push or brace against when turning or stopping under the jerk and load of a roped steer.

I have used a tie down before when I was team roping. I quit using it when I didn't think it was helping my horse and just felt it was wrong for me and my horse. Tie downs will work for the purpose of something for the horse to push against and be better balanced for the jerk of a load on the rope otherwise the very best team ropers who are also very good horsemen wouldn't be using them. But is important that the tie down is adjusted correctly which will allow your horse to push his nose out far enough in order to run in a balanced manner, and the nose band should be positioned above the soft cartilage of the nose to keep from doing any damage.

I think I would ride your new horse, maybe first in a controlled area like a round pen or arena, do some transitions, work up against the fence doubling him, and on backing him as to see what he is like without the tie down. Maybe the previous owner didn't know any other way but to use a tie down. If the horse is throwing his head it may not be because of a lack of a tie down,.....it could be an ill fitted bit or a bit that causes pain. Or it could be a learned reaction to get away from rough or quick hands. If you watch a horse that is being ridden with rough hands, as soon as the rider starts to pickup on the reins that horse's head may go up trying to alleviate the pressure and pain that he is expecting to come next.

Good luck to you and I'd like to hear how you are doing with this horse if you ride him without a tie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment