Sunday, March 21, 2010

Horse Training Tools – The Lariat Rope, More Than Just for Roping Cows



The Lariat Rope, given the name from the Spanish word “La Reata” who Spanish and Mexican Cowboys (Vaqueros) taught Anglos how to rope almost two hundred years ago, is a piece of working gear for the range Cowboy. It's appropriate that we call the working rope a "lariat" as Vaqueros had and continue to have a large influence on the way we work cows and train horses. Lariats have becomes highly specialized with custom ropes for Arena Ropers in Team Roping, and Tie Down Roping competition.

In fact, the great majority of ropes available today are built for arena roping. Companies like Cactus, Fast Back, King, Classic, and Callaway among others offer many different lays (stiffness), diameters and lengths. Lays come in extra-extra soft (XXS) to medium soft (MS); from diameters of 5/16 to 3/8 inch and 9.5 to 11 millimeters; and in various lengths most common around 28 to 35 feet, depending if you’re a header or heeler. These ropes are a poly or nylon blends.

I like ranch ropes, which are quite a bit longer, 5/16 inch diameter, extra-extra soft lay, and with a metal (aluminum) Honda (the loop in which the rope is past in order to build a larger loop for catching cows and tightening), so I buy 60 foot ranch ropes from Craig Cameron (www.craigcameron.com) and cut them down to 48 feet, which is about as much coiled rope I can handle with my reins in one hand.

As much as the Lariat is used for roping cows and pulling them out of mud holes, or roping and dragging calves to a branding fire, the Lariat is also a great Tool for Horse training. I used my rope to catch up my horse’s feet and sacking him out on standing still if he gets his feet caught up in rope or wire. Saved me and one of my horses one time when we got tangled up in bobbed wire on a ridgeline. I was glad as all get out that my horse stood still with all that bobbed wire wrapped around him, so I could dismount and cut it away.

The Lariat can be used to safely pick up feet on a new horse that is troubled by handling his feet.

The Lariat can be used as an expedient halter, looping the rope around a horse’s neck then passing another bit on the rope through this loop and over the horse’s nose. Or use simply as a catch rope to bring a horse out of a corral or pasture or if you have to pony a horse - if someone with you fell and got hurt, or the horses became lame and the rider couldn't ride him, you wouldn't want to pony that horse out using his reins if connected to a bit.

I have also used a Lariat around my saddle horn as I climbed down an incline, to check on something, both to keep my horse from spooking and running away and to give me an assist to help climb back up. That’s reminds me of the old saying about a Cowboy getting bucked off his horse – he was so mad he made the horse walk back to the ranch all by himself. Safe Journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment