Friday, April 13, 2012

Reader Questions: Mounting and Horn Wraps



I am having a hard time answering questions that come across as comments on the Functional Horsemanship YouTube channel, so I'll use this forum to answer a couple of short questions from readers.

Ladyirish1860 has made a comment on Correcting a Horse that Moves when Mounting.wmv: ”My horse does the exact opposite of what most seem to be asking about. He backs up!!! How do I correct that? Backing him more? Walking him in circles? Learn to jump into the saddle fast like Ninja? This is really the only problem I have with him. Thanks!

I’ve tried that Ninja stuff once without any luck. I think that your horse backing up when you mount is the same bad manners or avoidance behavior as moving away. When a horse moves away from you when you are trying to mount, the idea of pushing him around in tight circles causes him some pressure, then you can stop and offer him a chance to stand still, which is the release. When you move him around put some energy into it making him move, again this is the pressure. He gets his release when you stop and offer him a chance to stand and when he stands still then you can mount.

I recently helped a woman who horse was moving forward when she was trying to mount. Same thing. I had her put some energy in moving her horse around in a tight circle for three or four rotations, then she offered him a chance to stand. She had to do this a couple times, but within a few minutes her horse got the idea and it was easier to stand still and stood still for her to mount. Then her horse wanted to move off before she cued him, so I had her back him a few steps quickly, then offer him a chance to stand still until she cued him to walk off.


Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Horse Training – Wrapping Your Saddle Horn": ”Can I modify this and use sheet rubber? I don’t plan on using it for roping; I tore up the leather on the horn of my aussie saddle (long story) and hoping this would keep the leather from deteriorating further.”

Many team or tie down ropers will use rubber wraps on their saddle horns as this not only protects their saddle horn, the jerk on the rope when dallied is slowed down by the rubber compressing. If you would rather use rubber to wrap and protect your saddle horn, then I suggest either using the store bought horn rubbers or getting a bicycle inner tube and cutting it into a long strip to wrap much like you would with a conventional horn wrap.

I prefer the cut strips of bicycle inner tube. You can wrap these around the horn then feed the end through wrap, or wrap in the conventional horn wrap method.

National Ropers Supply offers many different rubber horn wraps. One of their products is called “The Better Dally Wrap” and another is the “Dura-Wrap”. You may it easier to use the Better Dally Wrap as the Dura-Wrap is like a giant rubber band and the last wrap is tough to get on the horn.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I just wanted to confirm that this technique works really well, I used it a few times with Starbuck during our first rides and she now usually stands completely still before and after mounting. Yesterday however the cinch was a little too loose when I tried to mount and the saddle slipped which freaked her out and she needed to move her feet around. So we did the circling thing (actually I alternate yielding her hindquarters and then forequarters in a full circle to the right and left) again. It took about 10 minutes during which several of my barnmates asked what the heck I was doing, but it centered her and when she finally decided she wanted me to mount up she was much calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really informative post about horsemanship. What I love most with this approach is that the partnership between horse, student and facilitator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Race Horse Camel SupplementsMarch 26, 2019 at 12:02 PM

    your blog is very informative thanks for the write up
    Buy biodyl 50ml injection
    Anabolicum oral suspension for sale
    Dexacortyl 100ml for sale
    Buy poison 15ml online
    Synedem 25ml for sale you can whatsapp+1(401)308-3901 for more details and hookups

    ReplyDelete