Monday, June 17, 2013

Handgun for an Old Cowboy


I recently received this question from Walt about a suitable handgun for snakes and for personal defense:     "I am 63 years old and live by myself about 9 miles outside of town with my two horses. I keep my horses both in a corral next to the house and sometimes turn them out into a three acre fenced pasture. I saw a rattlesnake there two weeks ago. I ride three or four times a week up into the small mountain range north of my house. Saw another rattlesnake on the trail there. Lately I have had several vehicles come up my drive, two in the day time and one at night then turn around and leave. There have been some breakin's at some of the neighboring homes. The only gun I own is an inherited .32-20 Winchester rifle.  I don't even have a scabbard for it and probably wouldn't carry it most of the time.   I'd like to get a handgun both for two legged and no legged critters. Do you think it is reasonable to get a revolver in .32-20 or should I be looking to a different caliber? I don't want a automatic. Adios, Walt. "

Hey Walt, yes there are .32-20 caliber handguns. Smith and Weson as well as Colt manufactured single and double action revolvers in .32-20, also called .32 WCF. Smith and Wesson manufactured the Hand Ejector model double action revolver, while Colt made single actions on the 1873 pattern, as well as double action revolvers call the Police Positive. See picture above, from upper left going clockwise: Colt Single Action; Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector Model; Colt Police Positive; and another sample of the Colt Police Positive.

None of these are currently being manufactured but many are available at gun brokers on the internet. Some of these guns are going for $550 and upwards. A couple of these sites are:

Armslist.com

Gunlist.com

If you are looking for a handgun to serve both as personal protection and for snakes, perhaps shooting snakeshot cartridges, and for personal defense then the double action revolver may be better suited for you. With the double action revolver, one pull of the trigger cocks then releases the hammer to fire a shot. The Double action revolver can be fired one handed which is handy when horseback so you can handle the reins with the other hand. The single action revolver has to be cocked manually for each shot, taking more time and pulling the gun off target in order to cock it unless you are well skilled with it or are shooting it with both hands and using the off hand, called the weak hand, to cock the hammer. Given the cost of .32-20 ammunition, I don't believe a person would be liable to shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds in order to be decently proficient with it.

You could always go with a revolver in another caliber. Consider .38 special a marginal cartridge and a minimum caliber. With a .357 magnum revolver you could also shoot .38 Special through it giving you a better chance to find ammunition for it. Note: You can't shoot .357 Magnum in a .38 Special revolver. CCI makes shot shell (snake shot) cartridges for .38 Special.  I like a revolver in .45 Long Colt and double action revolvers in this caliber are hard to find, so I have single action revolvers (Ruger Vaqueros) chambered for .45 LC.  It gives me the capability to shoot regular cartridges, softer Cowboy loads, snake shot or blanks to train my horses to gun fire.  So you may also consider this caliber as well.  

By the way, you can visit Classic Old West Styles, among others to find a good scabbard for your Winchester rifle.

Hope this helps Walt, have a safe journey.  Oh, sorry about the title calling you an OLD Cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment