Saturday, November 25, 2023

Comfort for Horses with Hoof or Tendon Problems on the Shoeing Stand


In a previous article I wrote about our 35 years old horse Charlie and his feed program due to age related problems not limited to his teeth and I briefly mentioned Charlie bowing both tendons on his front legs. g stout Quarterhorse who unfortunantly bowed both his tendons on his front legs a few years back. We have him on Equioxx pain meds daily and also gave him Devils Claw supplement which is a granular product containing Yucca, Devils Claw Root, Turmeric, Grape Seed extract and other ingredients. In the last six months I switched him over to Platinum Performance CJ (Complete Joint) which is really a great product and I have other horses on it as well. Charlie now moves pretty good, crossing over and under with the outside foot without giving. However, when on the shoeing stand for his trims every eight weeks or the ocassional grooming session, and the stand has hard rubber mats but he was still uncomfortably when a front foot or both front feet have to bear more weight. He trys to pull a foot away from time to time which is not helpful for horse and farrier relations and can even hurt my shoer. But it's understandable as Charlie has to deal with injury and age related pain. But we found a good solution.

So, after talking to a friend of mine who does equine therapy, and on her recommendation, I bought Physiopads from Wendy Murdoch. Wendy was known to me through articles in Eclectic Horseman magazine and she developed a system she calls the Sure Foot Equine Stability Program using a series of foam pads for horses to stand on. Readers will have to go to her website to understand what she is doing with this program. For my purposes I was mostly interested in Charlie's comfort and bought the Full Physiopads that my friend recommended.

When shoeing day came about we tried them on Charlie. I lifted each front foot and placed a pad underneath that foot then the other front foot. I envisioned a process of constant repositioning the pads but once I place his foot on the pad there it stayed. Charlie stayed on the pads and did not move or try to reposition his feet. Even when one of his front feet was off the ground where he had to bear additional weight on the other foot, he stayed rock solid still. I was impressed as was my shoer, who has probably seen every gimmick offered. And when Charlie was finished and asked to move off the shoeing stand, he did not exhibit any discomfort usually noticed on him giving a bit when a front foot was placed on the ground and weight transferred to that foot. 

If anyone has a similar problem, then I suggest checking Wendy Murdoch's products out.  





No comments:

Post a Comment