Saturday, September 23, 2023

Good to know knots - for the Arena Challenge


I used to tell people that when I was growing up, as a condition of being fed supper, my Pa would make me tie knots. The truth is that yes, I often had to tie knots before supper, but he never withheld the evening meal. If he did, I would look like an Ethiopian refugee, so poor I was in the early days of tying knots. I am glad that later on I learned the value of knowing how to tie a few knots and I am truly amazed that many people can only tie 'granny' knots.

We face situations several times a week where building good knots would come in handy. Whether it's tying up boxes or hay bales; anchoring a guideline for a tarp; tying open a gate or tying it closed due to a broken latch; tying two different diameter ropes together to make the length of rope you need; or securing reins to the saddle horn to name a few.  I'm sure each of you could think of several other things right off where a good knot would be useful.    

In this year's Arena Challenge Stockhorse Division, competitors will have to tie several knots. I usually do several clinics leading up the challenge, but in case some can't make it or want a guide to practice, I'm including a couple of those knots below. And I'm not above also having a surprise knot for competitor to tie. I'm also putting a video at the bottom on what Stockhorse competitors will likely see at the Challenge.  

Sheet Bend

This knot is commonly used to connect two different diameter ropes, usually in order to make a longer rope when needed. It can be used on ropes of the same diameter as well.





Bowline

This non slip knot can be used at the end of a rope, or in the middle, but for horsemanship purposes the end of the line bowline is more common. Among the many uses are to tie at the end of a rope and create a honda for an expedient lariat or to fashion a halter. I have used this many times for a catch rope or what some call a neck rope, to bring horses in from a pasture, or even to pony a horse when the rider couldn't ride or walk the horse in and I didn't want to pony that horse using reins connect to a bit.




 

Clove Hitch

I ride pretty much exclusively in mecate's so when I free lunge horse or put him into a pen to rest a bit when saddled, I'll used the close hitch to tie up the lead part of the mecate to the saddle horn. The Clove Hitch is a common way to secure an end of a tarp to an anchor stake so that it can be easily tightened or released. And one great way to have fun with the clove hitch is to set the knot up and loop it over an unsuspecting person's feet then clang some pots together or otherwise make a racket and watch them standup in a panic and try to move.

















No comments:

Post a Comment